In general, to map a domain you must change the A record(s) for the web server in the zone file for your domain, to point to the PopCred.net IP address: 188.8.131.52.
This tutorial will show domain mapping with My Domain. If you have a different registrar the process may be slightly different. If you can’t create an A record on your registrar site, please check with the registrar customer support for specifics.
On PopCred.net, you can use a custom domain for your blog, such as yourdomain.com, instead of the default address you get when you sign up, like yoursubdomain.popcred.net. This is called Domain Mapping and is available for both the Advanced and Expert blogging packages.
Below are the 21 steps to map your domain. It might look like a lot to do, but it’s very manageable. Each item includes only a click or text entry. We have made this as easy as possible, with almost all of the labor being with your domain registrar.
If you really don’t want to navigate through this, we offer a domain mapping setup service for those who would rather have someone else do the work.
- Purchase a domain name at My Domain or any other reliable domain registrar. (If you need help, read this tutorial for choosing a great domain name.)
- Wait until your domain shows a ready status. (This may take a few hours or up to a few days, depending on the registrar you selected and the day/time you registered.) Do not set up domain forwarding (http redirect). If you have already done so, you’ll need to disable it for domain mapping to work.
- Login to your My Domain account. You are going to create an A Record.
- Click the Manage Domains tab from the top navigation bar.
- Under Step 1, select Add services for selected domains from the dropdown list.
- Under Step 2, select the checkbox next to the domain you want to map to your PopCred site.
- Click the Manage Domains button under Step 2.
- Find Domain Tools Bundle in the Domain Services section. Add this free service to your cart.
- Click Continue on the right side of your screen.
- Read and accept the registration agreement. Click Continue.
- Click Place Order.
- When the order has been processed, click Go To My Account.
- Click the Hosting & Services tab.
- Under the heading Domain Tools, click Manage Domain Services to the right of the domain you are mapping.
- Next to DNS Management, click Manage.
- In the field labeled IP Address/A, enter the number 184.108.40.206 in the field.
- Click Update.
- Go back to your PopCred site and login to the dashboard.
- Go to Tools>Domain Mapping.
- Enter the URL of the domain you purchased.
- Click Add.
It may take anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days for the domain to propagate. Until this process completes, you will not be able to see your site using the new domain URL. Instead, you will see a parked link page or an error page or something similar.
While the propagation is working it’s way through, however, you will be able to access your dashboard and continue to work on your site. Remember the following:
- To access your site: YourDomain.YouTopLevelDomain
Examples: fancydanceshoes.com ~ holdthephone.net ~ ineedanap.org
- To access your dashboard: YourPopCredSubdomian.PopCred.net/wp-admin
Examples: airfreshener.popcred.net ~ soccermomsrules.popcred.net ~ singoutloud.popcred.net
That’s it! You are ready to roll with your own domain!