In general, to map a domain you must change the A record(s) for the web server in the zone file for your domain, to point to the PopCred.net IP address: 188.8.131.52.
This tutorial will show domain mapping with Domain.com. If you have a different registrar the process may be slightly different. If you can’t create an A record on your registrar site, please check with the registrar customer support for specifics.
On PopCred.net, you can use a custom domain for your blog, such as yourdomain.com, instead of the default address you get when you sign up, like yoursubdomain.popcred.net. This is called Domain Mapping and is available for both the Advanced and Expert blogging packages.
Below are the 12 steps to map your domain. It might look like a lot to do, but it’s very manageable. Each item includes only a click or text entry. We have made this as easy as possible, with almost all of the labor being with your domain registrar.
If you really don’t want to navigate through this, we offer a domain mapping setup service for those who would rather have someone else do the work.
- Purchase a domain name at Domain.com or any other reliable domain registrar (we use My Domain). (If you need help, read this tutorial for choosing a great domain name.)
- Wait until your domain shows a ready status. (This may take a few hours or up to a few days, depending on the registrar you selected and the day/time you registered.) Do not set up domain forwarding (http redirect). If you have already done so, you’ll need to disable it for domain mapping to work.
- Login at Domains.com. Go to your Control Panel.
- Click on Domain Central located in the Domain area.
- Click on the + (plus) sign to the left of the domain you want to map.
- In the area that appears below your domain name, click on the DNS tab.
- If here is an A record already created for your domain, choose Edit from the popup menu to the right of your domain name, under the Action column. Change the Points To: field to 184.108.40.206.
- If there is no A record for your domain, go to the fields at the bottom of the page and enter the name of your domain in the Host column and enter 220.127.116.11 in the Points To field, and click the add button.
- Go back to your PopCred site and login to the dashboard.
- Go to Tools>Domain Mapping.
- Enter the URL of the domain you purchased.
- Click Add.
It may take anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days for the domain to propagate. Until this process completes, you will not be able to see your site using the new domain URL. Instead, you will see a parked link page or an error page or something similar.
While the propagation is working it’s way through, however, you will be able to access your dashboard and continue to work on your site. Remember the following:
- To access your site: YourDomain.YouTopLevelDomain
Examples: fancydanceshoes.com ~ holdthephone.net ~ ineedanap.org
- To access your dashboard: YourPopCredSubdomian.PopCred.net/wp-admin
Examples: airfreshener.popcred.net ~ soccermomsrules.popcred.net ~ singoutloud.popcred.net
That’s it! You are ready to roll with your own domain!